I attended KubeCon earlier this week in Seattle and had some little fun there. It was eye-opening to see the vibrant community there. The energy is enormous. Very fortunate to be a witness of this part of the history. Windows container presence on the showcase floor or in sessions appeared small but the Azure booth was busy with lots of customers asking. I am equally exited and proud as the rest of the container ecosystem that I can play a role being in the core of Windows container technology to make a difference – build and grow this community step by step. And, we definitely need a lot of you to join us in this journey!
In the Sig-Windows maintainers meetup on Wed, hosted by the Co-Chairs Patrick Lang and Michael Michael (see pictures above), I was very happy to meet some keen customers who have been testing or even deploying Windows containers in production . I have also seen growing interest in recent other customers meetings. I thought I should share a compiled list of info related to Windows containers and Kubernetes we have today so we can all learn together. In addition, lots of you have also asked some Windows container 101 materials. There are tons of materials out there. Those our team presented in the Microsoft Ignite conference back in Sept are good starters. I added notes to some interesting demos embedded in our sessions. The list below is not meant to be a full list but a good holiday reading list in case you get bored opening presents:).
KubeCon 2018 Sessions:
- Tutorial “Deploying Windows Apps with Kubernetes, Draft and Helm”
- Breakout Session “Understanding Windows Container Networking in Kubernetes” (in fact it’s a KubeCon Shanghai session!)
- Windows containers docs: aka.ms/windowscontainers.
- This is the portal to all docs. If you see things incorrect or missing, let us know or contribute directly!
- Windows on Kubernetes:
- Get-started docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/windowscontainers/kubernetes/getting-started-kubernetes-windows
- Windows-SIG in Kubernetes community: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/tree/master/sig-windows
Windows Container 101 Sessions from Ignite 2018:
- BRK2234 – Getting started with Windows Server containers in Windows Server 2019:
- BRK2237 – From Ops to DevOps with Windows Server containers and Windows Server 2019
- BRK2236 – Take the next step with Windows Server container orchestration
You can search for other Ignite sessions here: https://aka.ms/TechCommunity/Microsoft_Ignite2018
Happy Reading, Happy Holidays!