Many customers impacted by end of support for Windows Server and SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 are considering migrating to the cloud. With security and compliance being key drivers, the move from on-premises infrastructure to the cloud seems more obvious now than ever. Migration is the first step in the journey to the cloud and begins with a series of key decisions, simple steps, and best practices. I have customers ask me all the time, “Can you really run SQL Server in Azure?” and “How do I start?”.
To help provide you insights into these questions and much more we are hosting the Azure Migration Virtual Event: Best Practices for Windows Server and SQL Server on February 26 10:00 AM Pacific time. During this 75-minute virtual event, Azure experts and engineers including me will share guidance specific to Windows Server and SQL Server migrations. You also will hear firsthand experiences on migration challenges, best practices, and examples of customers that have migrated to Azure.
Specifically, we want you to be able to choose the best destination in Azure and take the first step in starting your migration. We will present and demonstrate topics including:
- Defining a cloud migration strategy and how to apply it across your organization.
- Why Azure has the performance, security, and availability you need to power mission critical SQL Server workloads.
- Choosing the right way to run SQL Server in Azure from Virtual Machines to fully managed databases at scale.
- Discovering the tools and best practices to migrate both applications and SQL Server deployments to the cloud.
To round out the virtual event, other Azure engineering and marketing leaders will discuss the technical resources and migration programs specific to Windows Server and SQL Server migrations. You will hear from:
- Julia White, CVP Azure Marketing and Merrie Williamson, VP of Azure Apps and Infrastructure will talk about why Azure is a great cloud destination for your Windows Server and SQL Server workloads.
- Jeff Woolsey, Principal PM Manager, will review benefits of moving Windows Server workloads to Azure.
- Erin Chapple, CVP Azure Compute, will review migration triggers and prescriptive guidance to ensure a successful migration.
Tune in and be entered into our sweepstakes for a chance to win a Surface laptop or Xbox One X and learn about unmatched security and unparalleled innovation with Azure. Sweepstakes ends February 26, 2020. Rules can be found here.1 If you haven’t registered for the Azure Migration virtual event, register now at Azure Migration virtual event.
1No purchase necessary. Open to any registered Event attendee 18 years of age or older. Void in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Region of Crimea, and where prohibited. Sweepstakes ends February 26, 2020. For Official Rules, see here.
The post Azure Migration Virtual Event: Best practices for Windows Server and SQL Server appeared first on SQL Server Blog.