Brandon Wilson & Tan Tran
Hi IT Pros,
We still get the questions about Internet Explorer migration to Edge Chromium once in a while, especially from Government Agency Customers, the questions usually related to the in-house legacy application’ compatibility and developer’s tools.
Today we discuss about all thing migration from IE to Edge, I have combined a check list of Edge’s features, how to run Edge in IE compatible mode and its limitations for your review. We also touch on the new Edge feature for developers, the Webview2 tool which will be available in the near future.
Migrate from IE to Edge check list.
ActiveX control, Silverlight, Java
Objects (BHOs) like Silverlight or Java. However, if you’re running web apps that use ActiveX controls,
BHOs, or legacy document modes on Internet Explorer 11, you can configure them to
Edge browser in IE mode, features and configuration:
Only those sites that you specifically configure (via policy) will use the IE mode:
Entering the site FQDN names in the Enterprise Mode Site List XML defined in one of these policies:
– Microsoft Edge, “Configure the Enterprise Mode Site List”
– Internet Explorer, “Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list“
The Microsoft Edge site list policy takes precedence over the Internet Explorer site
If you know that your intranet sites are not going to work correctly with Microsoft Edge,
you can configure Microsoft Edge GPO with setting named “set all intranet sites to open using IE11”
to redirect intranet sites traffic to IE11 automatically as shown here:
Computer configurationPoliciesAdministrative templateMicrosoft Edge
IE mode supports the following Internet Explorer functionality
– All document modes and enterprise modes
– ActiveX controls (such as Java or Silverlight)
– Browser Helper Objects
– Internet Explorer settings and Group Policies that affect the security zone settings and
– The F12 developer tools for IE, when launch with IEChooser
– Microsoft Edge extensions (Extensions that interact with the IE page content directly are not
IE mode doesn’t support the following Internet Explorer functionality
– Internet Explorer toolbars.
– Internet Explorer settings and Group Policies that affect the navigation menu
(for example – search engines, and home pages).
– IE11 or Microsoft Edge F12 developer tools with the exception of IEChooser.
Using GPO to enable Edge Enterprise mode (IE compatible mode)
Computer configurationPoliciesAdministrative templateMicrosoft Edge
Using GPO to enable IE Enterprise mode
Administrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsInternet ExplorerUse the Enterprise Mode IE website
Edge could detect and automatically redirect traffic from IE to Edge if there is
Many modern websites have designs that are incompatible with Internet Explorer (IE). When an IE user
visits an incompatible public website, the user may get a message about incompatible browser.
After the message, starting with version 84, IE will automatically redirects users to Microsoft Edge.
Redirection from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge requires an Internet Explorer Browser Helper
Object (BHO) named “IEtoEdge BHO”.
The RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerPreventBHOInstall policy controls whether or not this
BHO is installed.
IE incompatible banner
If IE detect a modern Web site and it is incompatible with:
– A website incompatibility banner is displayed under the address bar for each redirection. – Users may continue to use IE for websites that are not on the IE compatibility list.
– To Add or Remove Public site in compatible list : you could email your suggestion to
– When a site is redirected from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge, the Internet Explorer tab that started
loading the site is closed if it had no prior content. Otherwise, the active tab view goes to a Microsoft
support page that explains why the site was redirected to Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft Edge supported browser privacy with tracking prevention feature:
The tracking prevention feature in Microsoft Edge protects users from online tracking by restricting
the ability of trackers to access browser-based storage as well as the network.
– To configure, typing in the url address box: “edge://settings/privacy“
Microsoft Edge proceeds with evaluating enforcement actions to prevent users from being tracked.
– You could set 3 level of prevention as shown here:
To Unblock tracking prevention for Company’s Web Developer:
Microsoft is currently working on the Storage Access API in the Chromium codebase.
The Storage Access API gives site developers a way to request storage access from users directly,
to quickly and intuitively unblock themselves.
Mitigation of “tracking prevention” for the companies belonged to the same Org or the Org
acquired by your Company:
Microsoft Edge exempts a site from tracking prevention when the site is making third-party requests
to other sites owned by the same parent organization (as defined in the Disconnect entities.json list)
Using Microsoft Edge DevTools to debug Office-Add-in:
When the Office add-in is running in Microsoft Edge, you can use the Microsoft Edge DevTools.
> Run the add-in.
> Run the Microsoft Edge DevTools.
> In the tools, open the Local tab. Your add-in will be listed by its name.
> Click the add-in name to open it in the tools.
> Open the Debugger tab.
> Choose the folder icon above the script (left) pane. From the list of available files shown
> To set a breakpoint, select the line. You will see a red dot to the left of the line and
a corresponding line in the Call stack (bottom right) pane.
> Execute functions in the add-in as needed to trigger the breakpoint.
About ClickOnce and DirectInvoke:
Currently, Edge Chromium doesn’t provide native support for ClickOnce or DirectInvoke.
ClickOnce and DirectInvoke are features available in IE and Microsoft Edge classic
(version 45 and earlier) that support the use of a file handler to download files from a website.
ClickOnce requests are handled by the native file handler in Windows.
DirectInvoke requests are handled by a registered file handler specified by the website hosting
Edge Group Policy list:
Applies to Microsoft Edge version 77 or later (Edge Chromium).
Allow Basic authentication for HTTP
Do not set window.opener for links targeting _blank
Allow the Web widget
Enable the Web widget at Windows startup
Available Browser policies
To configure the group policy for a default file type and protocol associations configuration file:
- Open the Group Policy editor and go to the Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsFile Explorer.
- Select Set a default associations configuration file.
Importing other Browser’s favorite items into Microsoft Edge:
Open Microsoft Edge and select Settings and more at the top corner of the window.
Select Favorites > Import.
Under Import from, select the browser from which you want to import your favorites or select Favorites or bookmarks HTML file.
More Edge features and documents:
WebView2 is Microsoft’s new embedded web control (11-19-2020), built on top of Microsoft Edge (Chromium).
Edge browser 46 tips
Deploy and Update Edge by SCCM
All Edge Documents
- Moving users to Microsoft Edge from Internet Explorer – Microsoft Edge Development | Microsoft Docs
- Tracking Prevention in Microsoft Edge (Chromium) – Microsoft Edge Development | Microsoft Docs
- Developing for the web with the power of building a native desktop application.
- Add multiple sites to the Enterprise Mode site list using a file and the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager (schema v.2) (Internet Explorer 11 for IT Pros) – Internet Explorer | Microsoft Docs
- About IE mode | Microsoft Docs
- Microsoft Edge Tips
- Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation | Microsoft Docs
- Microsoft Edge: Configure IE Mode (Part 1) – Azure Cloud & AI Blog