New DHCP Server Shows 169.254.xxx.xxx

How to correct the network binding created by the DHCP configuration wizard.

When configuring a new DHCP server, often the configuration wizard automatically creates a binding to a random adapter. If this adaptor is not configured or is unplugged, then the DHCP wizard will use the IP address available – often the AIPIA “Link Local” address.

Configuring a new DHCP server shows the link local address 169…:

DHCP server configuration wizard

This is normal. To remedy this, do one of the following:

  1. Remove the incorrect binding (right-click the binding Delete) then add a binding for the desired adaptor
  2. Update the adapter with a static address and start the DHCP configuration wizard again.

In the example below, we are disabling the unused network adaptors.  When we start the DHCP configuration again, only the appropriate adapter will be available with the correct IP address.

Disable Unused Network Port

DHCP server configuration wizard

When we run the DHCP setup wizard after disabling the unused adapter, the configuration wizard selects the appropriate adaptor automatically.

Run the DHCP Configuration Wizard Again

DHCP server configuration wizard

In the case above, the network adapter had a correct IP address and the DHCP configuration wizard shows the DNS name for the IP address.

Configure Binding Manually

DHCP server configuration wizard

When running the DHCP configuration wizard and creating a binding manually, the wizard will show the available adaptors allowing you to select the appropriate one.

2 thoughts on “New DHCP Server Shows 169.254.xxx.xxx”

  1. Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to
    be running off the screen in Opera. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
    The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon.
    Many thanks

    1. Sorry to hear this Kerrie. I can’t imagine why it’s a problem. The layout is very generic HTML. This page in particular is about as generic as I can imagine. I know, because I created the site and did this with as little custom work as possible. I don’t see what is special about this post that would cause Opera any problems.

      I installed Opera for Mac to check and this page appears as I expected. I suspect something with your setup is causing the problem.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *